Sunday, April 20, 2014

365 WORDS...ONE WORD AT A TIME...APRIL...HE HAS RISEN!



For a Christian, EASTER is the holiest time of the year. You almost wouldn't know it though by the commercials on Tv and researching the internet. Even Google who loves doodles did not acknowledge EASTER with a graphic. Maybe cause they just didn't want to "offend" anyone or perhaps the CEO is Jewish. Who knows...I do know that looking for EASTER graphics and/or wallpapers for my Facebook page left me shaking my head. Its all about the bunny! The eggs! The candy! The ham! A few days ago I was researching the origin of the EASTER bunny. I wanted to learn just when he...and the bunny is a he...officially, took over EASTER. I love buns, of course I do, I have one...but the bunny did not die for my sins, and a dead bunny (sorry Bailey) is just that...a dead bunny. The bunny was not resurrected, wasn't laid in a tomb...maybe the dinner table...God forbid! The EASTER bunny is actually a very old dating back to at least 1682 in the German Lutheran church...yes church, although other accounts say that it has its origins in pagan beliefs. Almost every religion has ties to the "egg" Ukraine for the decorating, the Jewish for bring egg dishes to funerals, the Orthodox churches for boiling them for preservation during Lent. The EASTER bunny idea arrived in America somewhere around the 18th century implemented by a tale told to children by the Pennsylvania Dutch, in the late 19th century, the Germans brought the tradition to Sweden where they were confused because of a language barrier and thought the were saying an EASTER wizard, so they dressed as witches for EASTER (ewww)...and so on. To me the EASTER bunny feels like it has grown to epic proportions in just the past few years so it was rather shocking to learn it has been around a long long time. In the "EASTER" aisle at a big box store, I found 2 crosses that were for decoration and one small Bible. Out of about 4 aisles with EASTER merchandise on each side...that's 8 sets of shelves...that was it. Sad! The point is while looking for anything EASTER related all you basically get...is the bunny. Online and off. Now I understand while those who know and follow Jesus now refer to EASTER as RESURRECTION DAY! I am not condemning the bunny...I just prefer the purity of RESURRECTION DAY. What a beautiful event...to know that Jesus laid down His life for me! I praise God for that. So to all the Believers...A very Happy and Blessed RESURRECTION DAY!




No comments:

Post a Comment